The Federal Government has followed through on its threat to block US R’n’B singer Chris Brown from entering the country because of his history of domestic violence.
Brown now has 28 days to explain why he should be allowed into the country.
“As a society we must be aware of the great harm that domestic violence causes to women, families and our community”, immigration minister, Peter Dutton, who was in charge of reviewing Brown’s application, told the Daily Telegraph.
“Decisions on whether a visa will or will not be issued are made after that timeframe and consideration of the material presented to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection”, Mr Dutton said.
Brown has toured Australia twice since then, in 2011 and 2012.
Even the Prime Minister of Australia allegedly agreed with the ban, saying it was “brilliantly expressed”.
Brown pleaded guilty to attacking his then-girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna, in 2009 and was sentenced to five years’ probation.
Australia’s Minister for Women, Senator Michaelia Cash, said during a conference on Thursday (24.09.15) the “Loyal” hitmaker is “not of the character” they expect in Australia. Hence, the immigration minister “will be looking at this very, very seriously”, she said, according to CNN.
Earlier this year, world-famous boxer Floyd Mayweather, who has a long history of domestic violence allegations, was barred from entering Australia.
“I am clearly not going to pre-empt a decision by the minister, however, I can assure you what my strong recommendation would be”, Cash said in a statement shared by The Guardian.
Chris Brown has been banned from Australia and given 28 days to dispute his visa denial.
Activist group GetUp! launched a petition last Friday calling for Brown to be refused entry to Australia because of his background of violence against women.