Man charged in Texas killings: Kids were becoming ‘monsters’

A man charged in the deaths of a couple and six children at a Houston home has professed love for one of the victims, his son, and says he thought the children were “growing up to be monsters”.


He also said Jackson’s husband was harassing him, and previous charges of domestic violence against him were “all lies”.

Conley told the station that his son, Nathaniel, 13, had become a problem child, describing him as disrespectful.

According to an arrest affidavit, Conley told authorities that he discovered on Saturday morning that the locks had been changed at the home after he had moved out.

The request from Valerie Jackson’s mother on Saturday sent officres to the home in north-west Houston. “Especially the lives of the young ones”, said chief deputy Tim Cannon of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office.

During his jailhouse interview, Conley said he had been living with Jackson for some time, and that her husband was out of the picture. “I’m not even saying I killed them”, said Conley.

“I love Nate”, he told KPRC of his son.

He admitted he was at a breaking point, and admitted he was in the home the night of the murders.

However, Judge Devlin said CPS continued to monitor and review the family until May 29, 2014, when their file was closed.

“He tried to pimp out over me and take everything, rule over my house”.

“Dewayne was a monster and Valerie, she was no Good Samaritan either, they did evil things all the time”, he said.

Jackson had made numerous domestic violence complaints against Conley, according to the Associated Press.

“Nate didn’t give me any respect because of what his mother was doing to me”, Conley said.

A stand-off ensued for several hours until Conley surrendered, said Sergeant Craig Clopton, the lead investigator. He says he recently agreed to move out of the house he shared with jackson and the kids but realized he had nowhere else to live. During the case, Mr. Conley was arrested for assaulting Ms. Jackson.

At the same hearing, Devlin said he learned that Valerie Jackson had corrected the issues that caused CPS to put her kids in foster care by putting an alarm system on the front door so they could not sneak out unnoticed. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to nine months in the county jail.

That case was still pending when the family died, with the next court date set for September. They were returned about a month later after the suit was dismissed by a judge, Patrick Crimmins, a spokesman for Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, which includes CPS, said Tuesday.


Neighbors on Monday said they were mindful of the family’s disturbed history of abusive behavior at home, with former police visits and contact with Child Protective Services.

Four young people offered prayer at a memorial outside of the home of Valerie Jackson where six children and two adults were murdered Saturday night