Do you have a pathological fear of something that for most people is not really even worth thinking about? Well, listed below are ten different kinds of phobias that people have, which many would consider silly or even hilarious. But, if you have one of these, you can at least take solace in the fact that you aren’t alone.
- Turophobia (Fear Of Cheese): The people who have this phobia might not even be able to stay in the same room as a slice of cheese. Some have phobia of a particular type of cheese while there are others who fear all kinds of cheese. This fear is said to stem from a bad childhood memory someone might have that is cheese-related.
- Hylophobia (Fear Of Trees): This again is a type of phobia that is very unusual. People suffering from this kind of phobia can stand being in wooded areas, forests or for that matter even near a single tree. This fear is again ingrained during childhood from an unpleasant or a horrific experience the person might have had that is tree-related. A person suffering from this phobia might get anxiety attacks the moment they step out of the house and see a tree.
- Nomophobia (Fear Of Being Without Mobile Phone Coverage): Now here is a phobia that has gained root only since the time mobile phones have been around. Scientists came across this phobia fairly recently and it is said nearly half the population in the UK suffer from it, in varying degrees. The trigger for this fear can be something as simple as losing the mobile phone signal or for that matter even losing the sight of one’s mobile phone.
- Uranophobia (Fear Of Heaven): If you thought the phobias we have mentioned till now are odd, how does fear of heaven strike you as? It seems this kind of phobia is really prevalent in people who are ultra-religious and are afraid of being judged at the gates of heaven for their deeds.
- Xanthophobia (Fear Of The Color Yellow): Just imagine being afraid of anything that is yellow in color, including sunlight. Such people can’t even dare to go outdoors during the day or stay in the same room as something yellow. The fear might stretch as far as not being able to bear hearing the word “yellow”.
- Somniphobia (Fear OF Falling Asleep): Yes there are people on this earth who fear sleeping. It could be anything from repeated nightmares, to the fear of losing control of their lives when asleep, that triggers this fear.
- Ombrophobia (Fear Of Rain): Compared to some of the phobias mentioned above, this is one fear that seems pretty normal doesn’t it? People suffering from this phobia can have panic attacks, if they encounter rain. This fear might take root from being told in childhood that if you go out in the rain you might fall sick.
- Pogonophobia (Fear Of Beards): Imagine if you were a caveman thousands of years ago and were suffering from this phobia, how would you deal with it? Well, luckily the invention of razor blades has been a blessing especially for people with this phobia. A person suffering from this phobia can’t stay in the same room as the person with a beard.
- Triskaidekaphobia (Fear Of The Number Thirteen): Compared to the phobias that one can possibly have, this is one phobia that seems like a walk in the park. This fear can stem from the fact that the number thirteen is considered unlucky in make cultures. Those suffering take utmost care to avoid anything to do with this number.
- Papaphobia (Fear Of The Pope): Last but not the least is another really unusual fear. This fear is also closely related to Hierophobia (fear of scared things and holy individuals) and Hagiophobia (fear of saints and other things that are holy). This unusual fear might take root, if the person has had an unpleasant experience with the pope.