Army parachutist who died after Chicago Air & Water Show accident promoted

The Golden Knights – the first U.S. military parachute team in 1959 – consists of 89 soldiers and civilians divided into several sections, including demonstration teams, a tandem team and competition teams. Every colleague performs a huge number of bounced a year, Dixon said. Investigator Mario Johnson states that Hood was said died soon after four p.m. Connecticut Sunday in Chicago.


The investigation into the airshow accident is ongoing.

Some were there this weekend when he collided with a Navy skydiver. The Golden Knights is the Army’s parachute team.

The parachutists spend most of the winter at Homestead Air Force base in Florida, training.

“These are truly elite skydivers”, Bettencourt said. He had logged more than 200 free-fall jumps and 75 static-line jumps during his career, according to his Army biography. “He loved connecting the American people with their Army”.

Fort Bragg officials said Thursday that Hood was selected for promotion “for his demonstrated leadership abilities and tactical and technical expertise”. “Corey’s story was extraordinary because he was an extraordinary Soldier”, said Lt. Col. Matthew Weinrich, USAPT commander. Unable to maneuver, Hood’s parachute was carried away from its landing site as it fell through the sky, and Hood hit the roof of a nearby high-rise building, a witness told the Tribune.

Fetzer said Hood possessed all the positive attributes instilled in student-athletes, including mental toughness, “a little bit of grit”, and a strong will and desire, all which served him well in the Army.

Hood, 32, had served five deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan and earned numerous awards and decorations, including two Bronze Stars, according to the AP.

“It’s just devastating to hear about it. I mean, just to have been there with him in his last moments is stunning to me”, Shore said.

The Navy Leap Frog who collided with Hood – 29-year-old Timothy Holland – suffered a broken leg, and other injuries, but was expected to fully recover.


Hood is survived by his wife, Lyndsay Hood.

Parachutist, Lakota West grad, dies of injuries