Previously suspended Auburn wide receiver D’haquille “Duke” Williams has been reinstated to the team, putting to rest for now the latest drama with the Tigers’ gifted but often-troubled star. “We’ll probably go in there a good four times before our first game for our punters and our returners just to get used to it”.
“He understands that”, Malzahn said.
“Obviously, there’s going to be some catching up to do,” Malzahn said. Though the board only displayed a standstill “Auburn” graphic throughout practice, the team will play several more times with game simulation videos to familiarize the players with their new big screen. “I know our players are going to enjoy it…it will take me a little getting used to, but I’m really looking forward to having it”.
Williams is not a first round prospect based on his 2014 game film, but with improved consistency blocking and finishing catches, he has the physical skill-set to be one of the top seniors drafted next spring, likely on day two. Head coach Gus Malzahn commented on the updated status of the receiver following practice on Thursday.
He caught 45 passes for 730 yards and five touchdowns in 2014.
With Auburn’s motto of the 2015 season being “Count on me”, Lashlee was asked Wednesday if the coaching staff felt comfortable trusting the senior receiver now separated from the team but not officially suspended or dismissed. He missed last season’s Outback Bowl for an undisclosed violation of team rules. “That’s how we operate around here”, Malzahn said. According to reports, Williams posted a picture to Instagram showing what appeared to be an unconfirmed injury to his left eye. “For anybody that missed that many practices that’s to be expected”.