Australian bailed as Anzac Day terror charges dropped

A major terror charge against a Melbourne teenager accused of plotting an Anzac Day attack has been dropped in court.


The plan allegedly involved driving a vehicle into police, beheading them, stealing their weapon and then proceeding on a shooting rampage.

He was charged with conspiring to commit an act of terror, which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Police gave no formal reason for dropping the terror charge against Causevic, who pleaded guilty to three other charges on Tuesday in relation to knives and a knuckle duster found in his possession.

Mr Causevic was held without charge, and became the first person subjected to the secretive preventative detention order by Victoria Police.

Each April 25th, Australians remember their fellow countrymen and New Zealanders who died fighting for their country in Gallipoli, along with all those who have done the same in conflicts since.

Police alleged that Causevic and 18-year-old Sevdet Besim planned to launch a terror attack on Anzac Day (April 25) a national holiday commemorating Australia’s war veterans.

Following the bail hearing, Causevic’s father Vehid Causevic told reporters outside the court that the charge was politically motivated.

Federal police had alleged Mr Causevic was nearby when friend Numan Haider was shot by police in Endeavour Hills past year .

The Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions said there was “insufficient evidence to continue the prosecution”. “He is no longer charged with any federal offence”, the statement said.

Police have told the Melbourne Magistrates’ court that, in April this year, Causevic had driven down St Kilda Road in actions “consistent with reconnaissance at the Shrine of Remembrance”, and had produced a black flag with white Arabic writing on it and “waved it…at a Victoria police officer”.

They’ve also said that Mr Causevic was seeking an Australian passport, and had sought to obtain weapons, including knives.

‘All of the preparatory work, the bail application, preparation of the form 32, all related to that sole charge which has now been withdrawn, ‘ Mr Stary said.


“In this particular matter, police undertook an operational resolution at an early stage to ensure there was no threat to the community”. The teen is due to return to court in November.

A teenager accused of conspiring to commit a terror attack on Anzac Day will appear in a Melbourne court