Both McLaren and Jenson Button had remained tight-lipped on the Brit’s future at the Japanese Grand Prix – until director Jonathan Neale was questioned on the subject on Friday.
Neale admitted that Button is a world champion and an important part of his team who has been associated with McLaren from last six seasons, the Guardian reported.
Joining McLaren from 2010, however the department – and that is striving in 2015 because of its still-developing Honda drive system – has indicted that it literally wish to preserve Button and Fernando Alonso for 2016, the driving force has…
The 2009 world champion had been linked with calling time on his career in Formula One, following what has so far been a hard campaign in 2015.
“All l can say is that this year has been a really hard year for the team and I do feel that it has brought us a lot closer together”.
‘The joy of being in an F1 auto is only there if you’re fighting at the front and achieving something, ‘ said Button after another point-less race, at Singapore last Sunday.
But ahead of this week’s Japanese Grand Prix, the 35-year-old said: “There are so many possibilities about what can happen next year – so many possibilities – but I have got nothing else for you, I am sorry to say”.
“I don’t like finishing 14th, I don’t like finishing 10th”.
But asked by AUTOSPORT if he could envisage racing in the WEC at some stage post-F1, Button said he had increasingly warmed to a series he had once ruled out. That is not what gives me joy and that is not what excites me.
“When we got to Monza, Ferrari took another step so nothing has really changed for us”.
Rosberg, who is now only eight points ahead of Vettel, said: “He is a threat and we are keeping an eye on him and Ferrari in general, because they have been very strong at times this year”. Indeed, though the 15-time race victor has declared he will retire from F1 rather than switch to another team, he has repeatedly signalled his frustration at the ongoing struggles with the McLaren-Honda team.