Niger’s army says it has killed 15 Boko Haram militants in land and air operations and taken another 20 captive.
Niger has suffered attacks from Boko Haram largely due to its expansive border with Nigeria and is now part of a joint multinational force against the sect.
He affirmed that no injuries were reported on the part of the army.
But the United States has condemned that attack and said it is committed to working closely with governments in the region to end the threat posed by Boko Haram. Nor did he specify whether it had taken place in Niger or neighbouring Nigeria.
Bauchi: About 40 people have been killed by suspected Boko Haram militants who torched houses and shot people as they fled in two villages in northeast Nigeria’s Borno state, witnesses told Reuters on Wednesday.
Boko Harams six-year-old uprising, which began in northeastern Nigeria, is blamed for the deaths of 13,000 people and the displacement of more than 1.5 million.
In the statement, Niger’s National Defense Minister Karidjo Mahamadou hailed the “FDS for the brilliant operation against the terrorists and encouraged them to continue with the fight to restore peace and security in Niger as well as in the sub-region”.
Boko Haram, which has been fighting to establish a hardline Islamic state in northeast Nigeria since 2009, has intensified its campaign of violence in the last month.
Just like other countries in the Lake Chad Basin, Niger has also come under attack from the Islamist group that has left both civilians and military dead.
The USA in a press statement by John Kirby U.S, Department of State spokesperson obtained by our correspondent in Lagos, noted that the terrorists’ attacks were callous and worrisome.