One people died and nine others have been injured after a blast ripped through a chemical plant in east China’s Shandong Province on Saturday night, local authorities said.
The death toll on Saturday rose to 121 in the wake of last week’s huge explosions at a chemical warehouse in north-eastern China, with 54 people still missing, according to reports.
It is similar to the blast that occurred on August 12 chemical warehouse explosion in the northern Chinese port of Tianjin.
Chinese workers in protective suits have been clearing wreckage at the Tianjin site, including charred vehicle bodies and crumpled shipping containers.
Windows shattered in the village where the explosion happened tremors were felt as far as 2km away.
Like with the Tianjin explosion, the chemical plant in Shandong’s Huantai County was located less than a kilometre from residential areas.
The factory produced adiponitrile, a colorless liquid that releases poisonous gases when it reacts with fire, the People’s Daily said, citing the state-run Beijing Times.
The findings will be published once all evidence has been submitted to the cabinet, the official said, adding that it was its top priority to ensure the investigation was both timely and accurate. It is as of yet unclear if the chemical has caused any injuries.
A total of 640 people remained in hospital, including 48 critically injured.
The owners of the hazardous goods storage company at the centre of the incident, Rui Hai worldwide Logistics, reportedly included the son of a former police chief who used his connections to help the firm obtain the necessary permits and pass inspections.
Metropolis officers have repeatedly stated contaminants discovered within the wake of the blasts, together with lethal sodium cyanide, pose no danger to the general public.