Israeli soldiers accompany Israeli settlers as settlers carry out vigilante attacks against local Palestinians and their land in the West Bank village of Bur’in, October 3, 2015.
Earlier on Saturday, Palestinian sources said two Israelis were killed and two others injured during clashes between 19-year-old Palestinian youth, Mohannad Rafiq Halab, and Israeli settlers in the occupied Old City of al-Quds (Jerusalem).
The two men have been identified as Aharon Bennett, 21, from Beitar Illit and Nehamia Lavi, 41, a rabbi and member of Ateret Cohanim, an Israeli Jewish settlement organisation that works for the creation of a Jewish majority inside the Old City and East Jerusalem by occupying houses.
A police officer shot and killed the attacker after he stabbed the father and took his gun, using it to shoot at the woman and a nearby crowd of tourists. Israeli police and Palestinian demonstrators have clashed repeatedly there in recent weeks.
Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad issued a statement claiming the attacker as one of its members.
“Netanyahu is obviously trying to copy the late Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s 2002 military operation “Defensive Shield”, which was the biggest Israeli offensive against the West Bank since the 1967 war“. On Saturday, he wrote on his Facebook page: “Either martyrdom or victory”.
Police have reportedly imposed restrictions on access of Palestinians to the Old City of Jerusalem, a walled area with key religious sites important for Muslims, Jews and Christians, as the attack became the second in several hours.
One lady was in a crucial situation after the assault and a toddler was frivolously injured, police added.
Just as they did on Rosh Hashanah, Jerusalem police, citing intelligence on the pending Arab riot, headed toward the al-Aqsa Mosque on Tosha Báv, where numerous masked rioters were preparing an attack, in a bid to thwart the violence. We are not the people who accept humiliation.
On Thursday, an Israeli couple was shot dead while driving on a West Bank road, with their four children in the back seat witnessing their parents’ death. Israeli Defence Minister Moshe Yaalon, who visited the attack site yesterday, said the security forces had been deployed “to place our hands on the murderers”.
The Israel military said troops operated in thearea but would not elaborate further. “Our people will revolt”.