Prince Harry joined a fundraising walk for veterans coping with the long-term psychological effects of war. “Not just with these guys but with everybody”, the prince said.
The arduous 72-day walk is set to finish at Buckingham Palace on November 1.
“Mental health is a sensitive subject but it doesn’t need to be”.
“The support has been fantastic”, Harry told PEOPLE of the walk.
Speaking ahead of today’s walk, Harry said he was “hugely looking forward” to joining the team on their “formidable” challenge.
The group stopped off at Stokesay Castle and were met later by Ludlow mayor Paul Draper when they arrived in Ludlow.
In June, the beloved royal spoke to ITV that he wanted to spend the rest of his life focusing on helping ex-servicemen and women get the support they need – particularly in mental health.
As well as providing physical and psychological support for injured service personnel, the charity also offer assistance for homeless veterans and those who find themselves before the courts.
Among them are three victims of IED blasts in Afghanistan, amputees, and two who suffered traumatic brain injuries – another lost an eye.
He said the walk had been a “healing” experience, and of the Prince he added: “He’s very passionate about what we’re doing and what he does”.
“A lot of these guys have never had a chance to really talk about their feelings and emotions, and the worst thing is when you’re in the forces, trying to talk about your issues and people not accepting them”.
The 37-year-old duly obliged, concluding he was “a lovely guy”. The team are around the half way point of their challenge; by the end of day 39 on 29 September, they had covered 541 miles with 458 miles to go. Despite having been walking since August 22, the veterans looked pleased to be spending time with their royal patron.
Harry has supported WWTW since the charity was formed, taking part in its treks to the North Pole in 2011 and South Pole in 2013.