A Saudi-led coalition that has been targeting Yemeni rebels disputed reports Monday that an airstrike mistakenly struck and killed 38 people at a wedding party.
The strikes by attack helicopters from the Saudi-led coalition battling Shiite rebels was a “mistake”, Yemeni security officials told The Associated Press.
Over 6,200 Yemenis have reportedly lost their lives in the Saudi airstrikes, and a total of almost 14,000 people have been injured.
This follows Foreign Minister Riyadh Yassin’s address at the General Assembly on Sunday, during which he called on the worldwide community to put pressure on the Houthis to withdraw from areas they have occupied in Yemen.
The air strikes came as the Saudi army announced Sunday that one of its generals was killed while on duty in the kingdom s Jazan province near the border with Yemen.
Last week, the Saudi-owned al-Arabiya channel reported that 40 Houthis were killed during an attack on al-Hathera village in Saudi Arabia’s Jizan province.
The United Nations says almost 4,900 people, including a vast number of civilians, have been killed in Yemen since late March.
Gen. Mansour al-Turki.
These efforts have been stepped up following the military operation launched on 25 March by a coalition led by Saudi Arabia.
In July, the southern port city of Aden was liberated by pro-government forces backed by coalition troops, including Emirati soldiers.
Moreover, Houthis then in Marib repelled an attack, killing five anti-rebel fighters as the province became a major battleground, which is east of Sanaa.
In the central city of Taez, two sisters and their grandmother were killed yesterday in rebel bombing, the state news agency said.
Much of the backdrop has actually been decreased to actually rocks by months of the year of vicious struggling, having the rebels sits on former troopers attached to ousted chief Ali Abdullah Saleh.