As we have maintained so many times before, facts can more often than not, be stranger than fiction. Here is another case in point. Turns out, a snake that was pickled in a glass jar and assumed to be dead came back to life and bit the person who put it there. The strangest part is that this snake that was put in a jar of solution came back to life after three months of it being put there. The solution, some shorgum wine, this Chinese woman who was bitten must have believed would have done the job, but as it turns out the wine didn’t manage to finish off this snake.
For those unaware, snakes can enter a state of hibernation and stay in it for long periods giving out the impression that they are dead. All they need is a steady supply of oxygen. It appears this Chinese woman did not do a very good job of making the bottle airtight, which in turn lead to this incident. Many of you must be curious as to why the snake was put inside a bottle of wine in the first place. Well, in parts of China it is believed that snake wine or shejiu as the Chinese call it, can relieve and even cure rheumatism. To what extent this is true is anybody’s guess, but given this incident it sure seems like a huge risk to take to cure rheumatism.
As you might have guessed by now, the Chinese woman was bitten, when she was trying to pour out the wine from this jar containing the snake. This snake in question was a pit viper, which many you might have heard is quite a poisonous snake. The woman was rushed to the hospital and survived the ordeal; bet she didn’t have a cure handy in any of her jars, for a snake bite.
Many animal lovers would argue that putting a live snake in a jar and trying to pickle it is really inhumane because it leads to a slow and painful death for the reptile. Hopefully, this Chinese woman has learnt her lesson and will stop selling snake wine altogether. As far as our friend the pit viper is concerned, it was killed for doing what any other living creature in its place would have done, which is trying to survive.