Christopher and Sharon Bell, of Killingbeck, were yesterday confirmed among 38 people killed by gunman Seifeddine Rezgui in the resort of Sousse on Friday.
Britain will hold a national minute’s silence on Friday to remember victims of the Tunisian beach attack, Prime Minister David Cameron announced on Monday.
“Facing such a global and long-term menace, we are called to reaffirm our solidarity with each other, and affirm the great treasures of freedom, in religion and so many other ways”.
He appealed for anyone who was in Sousse and witnessed the attack to contact the confidential anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321.
He explained how he and the Archbishop in Egypt, Dr Mouneer Anis, had spent eight days fasting and praying, in English and Arabic, for peace at York Minster a year ago.
He added: “The main challenge we face in fighting the jihadists are resources, including equipment and surveillance technology”. But at the site of the ancient city of Carthage outside Tunis on Wednesday morning, AFP correspondents saw no police at the Antonine Baths and just one guard at the Carthage Museum. Commanders of a Tripoli-controlled deterrence force say other countries refuse to share information with them for fear of appearing to support the rebel authority in the Libyan capital.
“The staff at both the hotels are absolutely wonderful and have constantly been hugging all of the tourists saying they are thankful we are all safe, and they are so sorry that this has happened, despite it not being their fault”. “Love you always grandma, rest in peace”. “She said people shouted, ‘This is the real Tunisia!’”.
The health ministry said all 38 victims had been formally identified.
The Tunisian government has also armed the country’s tourism police for the first time and has deployed more than 1,300 armed officers on beaches and at tourist hotels – moves seen widely as desperate attempts to rescue the country’s critical tourism industry.
“It will definitely damage the economy”, Bishop Musk said.
The assault stole the lives of three generations of one family.
In a telegram sent to Tunisia, Pope Francis condemned the “violence which causes so much suffering” and prayed that God would bring peace to the region.
The recent attacks in Tunisia targeting tourists are part of a campaign known as “lone wolf” attacks.
As well as the Sousse killings there was also an attack in March on the Bardo Museum in Tunis, which left 20 people dead. Chelli also highlighted the role of Ansar al-Sharia, which has ties with the Islamic State terror group but has so far not sworn formal allegiance. “Our thoughts are with all those affected by the tragedies”.
Authorities identified the attacker as Seifeddin Rezgui, a 24-year-old Tunisian man. Ireland said Sunday three of its citizens were killed.
He said: “This is such devastating news”.
More of the 30 Britons who died were named yesterday as tributes continued to be paid to those killed. “We are a very small and normal family, but nothing will ever be normal again”.